[Portland] Bonobo/KParts interoperability

Maxim Udushlivy maxim.udushlivy at gmail.com
Tue May 9 03:15:28 PDT 2006

Maxim Udushlivy wrote:
> XParts announcement has broken links but the pages are available here
> (thanks to archive.org):
> http://web.archive.org/web/20050214225753/http://trolls.troll.no/lars/xparts/doc/xparts.html
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20011031144322/http://trolls.troll.no/~lars/xparts/
>
> XParts is an asymmetrical, one-way embedding.
>
> Portland Embedding should be symmetrical (and thus neutral) to all
> parties and avoid hand-coded proxy containers (like KXPartsHost in
> XParts and "special controls" in my first guess:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-May/000435.html).
>
> A new DBus-based embedding may serve now as a bridge between existing
> incompatible embedding technologies...
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-May/000436.html
> ...but evolve into something bigger in the future (e.g. exposing plain
> widgets for embedding automatically by means of introspection)

Sorry that I bombard this list with probably not so useful messages,
just cannot resist :)

XParts may be considered as "out-of-process KParts" that are accessible
via DCOP. So KXPartsHost is inevitable for cross-toolkit embedding. The
big picture updated:

1. Create DBus.Embed - a set of interfaces for embeddable GUI controls,
containers and an activation server
2. Create DBus bridges for CORBA, DCOP and UNO to access Bonobo, XParts
(and hence KParts) and OpenOffice controls via DBus
3. Since XPCOM does not support remote objects, create DBus binding for
XPCOM to access Mozilla controls
4. Create plugins for DBus.Embed activation server that will be
translating requests between incompatible controls and containers
("dynamic" proxies)

This is just a raw idea.