[Portland] xdg-screensaver.in

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue May 9 17:08:19 PDT 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 01:38:52AM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 04:47, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > First cut at the screensaver script.  I sorted out a simple way to do
> > the screensaver suspend, but there might be a better way (open to
> > suggestions.)  I also implemented the other obvious functionality -
> > plain disable/enable, and immediate on/off.
>
> Thanks. I had a quick look at it and I'd say, commit it.

Okay, will do.  I wanted to wait until I had a working unit test first,
but ironically, it looks like that'll be the hard part.

> You might want to check if you'd like to tranform the error output messages to
> parameters of the failure calls (they should support this)

Will do.  I didn't realize they took parameters.

> > I also wasn't sure how to do the screensaver ops for gnome - perhaps the
> > xset approach is sufficient?
>
> There could be some DBus call similar to KDE's DCOP stuff on recent GNOME
> versions.
> I once tried to google for it, but only found mentioning of some interface,
> not any real description.
> I'd say as long as there is no GNOME developer interested in participating,
> we'll just use whatever we can find out ourselves.

It sounds like both GNOME and KDE have been made to respect settings
done through xset, so most likely it will "just work" even without
specific gnome support.  I've only checked this on KDE though, but I
figure if there's a unit test, then that'll make it easy for a gnome
user to doublecheck it some day.

Bryce