[Portland] xdg-tools failure + patch

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Fri Nov 17 03:18:43 PST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to deliver an application which should be able to run on RedHat 9
as well as on RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.
I ship the xdg scripts (1.0) with my app, but now I discovered, that at least
2 of them fail on RedHat 9 (running KDE):

xdg-screensaver and xdg-desktop-menu use the command
"mktemp" without arguments, which is impossible on RH9 as there the command
requires the template argument (I patched this - attached).

xdg-screensaver does not run at all as it seems KDE-3.1 kdesktop does not
expose a DCOP interface. Are there any alternatives ?

xdg-desktop-menu install in root mode gives the following problems:

xdg-desktop-menu: No writable system menu directory found.

When I set the export XDG_UTILS_DEBUG_LEVEL=999 and run it again:

/tmp/xdg-desktop-menu install etm-PVSS-3.6.directory
etm-PVSS_OnlineHelp_de-3.6.desktop

update_submenu etm-PVSS-3.menu
Install locations for *.menu file:
xdg_user_dir: /root/.config/menus/applications-merged
xdg_global_dir: /applications-merged
kde_user_dir:
kde_global_dir:
gnome_user_dir:
gnome_global_dir:
Updating /applications-merged/etm-PVSS-3.menu (install)
Files to list in etm-PVSS-3.menu: etm-PVSS_OnlineHelp_de-3.6.desktop
etm-PVSS_OnlineHelp_en-3.6.desktop
Install locations for *.directory files:
xdg_user_dir: /root/.local/share/desktop-directories
xdg_global_dir:
kde_user_dir:
kde_global_dir:
gnome_user_dir:
gnome_global_dir:
xdg-desktop-menu: No writable system menu directory found.

=> it seems the filename containing "3.6" is parsed incorrectly, as it results
in etm-PVSS-3.menu. Bug or Intention ?
=> it also creates /applications-merged

In user mode it works.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin

Computers and Internet gave you freedom.
TCPA would TAKE your FREEDOM!  http://www.againsttcpa.com