[Portland] DAPI ideas

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Sun Nov 19 13:32:19 PST 2006

I was planning to do an IRC meeting later this week to discuss plans for
moving ahead with DAPI. Your notes are a good start for that discussion.

As far as your broker idea goes, DBUS already provides automatic service
activation, configuration of services may still require some more
thought though. Currently DBUS has the following features that relate to
your broker idea:

* Service names: When a DBUS service connects to DBUS it gets a unique
connection id. In addition to that it can request a service name. Such a
service name would be something like
"org.freedesktop.DesktopBookmarkService". DBUS ensures that a service
name is uniquely held by one service only. A second service that would
attempt to acquire the name will typically fail.

* Service activation: When a client sends a message
"org.freedesktop.DesktopBookmarkService" and no such service is
currently active, the DBUS daemon is able to automatically start a
service first before forwarding the message to this service. See
http://raphael.slinckx.net/blog/documents/dbus-tutorial/ for a tutorial
on the subject.

So I don't think clients will need to tell the broker explicitly to
activate a service, DBUS can do that automatically already, and clients
can just call "org.freedesktop.DesktopBookmarkService" directly.

Cheers,
Waldo

Intel Corporation - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Hillsboro, Oregon