[Portland] Desktop-aware graphical error handler

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Nov 23 11:55:47 PST 2006

Hello,

while packaging some software I came across several situations where a script
fails or a graphical application crashes without any visual notification to
the user.
My way of handling this was to write a generic 'error' script which similar to
tools like strace takes the entire command as its options and runs it.
Whenever the exit stats != 0, the error messages are shown to the user in
kdialog, xmessage or whatever is installed, and depending on what environment
the user is in.

I'm not sure distributors will like this approach but for me it seems to be
helpful to have such an error handler installed by default.
Is this in scope for Portland?

Josef