[Portland] Screen saver questions / proposal

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Apr 24 21:03:54 PDT 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007, Jeremy White wrote:
>> So first question:  wouldn't it make more sense to just allow
>> those .desktop files to be anywhere in the menu hierarchy?
>
> since we didn't actually want the screensavers in the user's applications menu
> and since they are more like "plugins" to the screensaver control, kde has
> moved the .desktop files to services/ where they can be queried for. it's the
> same .desktop files, just outside of the applications menu area. hopefully
> this doesn't put too many monkey wrenches into things, but it does make more
> sense this way imho.

Um, but isn't that the whole purpose of the NoDisplay key in the .desktop file?

And, again, you've replicated the entire problem sequence we had with
the .menu desktop files - the algorithm to figure out where to put them
is annoying and desktop specific.

I suppose you could modify xdg-desktop-menu to take a --screensaver
option which would 'know' to manipulate things in an alternate
directory, but that seems wrong to me.

Cheers,

Jeremy