[Portland] installing MIME-types

Harald Nikolisin harald.nikolisin at sofistik.de
Mon Feb 12 01:52:22 PST 2007

hi,

I'm trying to expand our installation script to install GUI programs
properly on a linux desktop.
while xdg-desktop-menu is quite straightforward, I have some problems
with xdg-mime and maybe someone can answer my questions.

this is the manual example of xdg-mime
------
shinythings-shiny.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<mime-info xmlns='http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info'>
  <mime-type type="text/x-shiny">
    <comment>Shiny new file type</comment>
    <glob pattern="*.shiny"/>
    <glob pattern="*.shi"/>
  </mime-type>
</mime-info>
-------

1) Is there no possibility to list applications in a specific order
which are able to open "text/x-shiny" files?
2) What is the difference for mime-type "text/x-shiny" to "text/shiny"?
Besides this, if Shiny is an ISV it should also prefix its mimetype with
and "vnd.", or am I wrong?
3) The associated icons to that filetype are not declared in this xml
file? Do I have to use the xdg-icon-resource script?

last question not related to xdg-mime. "Icon resources can be XPM files,
PNG files or SVG files." (from xdg-icron-resourc manual) - Is either KDE
3.3 or Gnome 2.x able to render SVG icons in its menu or filemanager?

PS: I also would have searched the mailing lists for that topic to avoid
duplicating entries but portland.freedesktop.org is currently down.

--

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards

  Dipl.-Ing. Harald Nikolisin
  SOFiSTiK AG
  Entwicklung / Development
  www.sofistik.de / www.sofistik.com

  Vorstände: Dr. Casimir Katz, Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Fink
  Aufsichtsrat: Dr. Johannes Harl (Vorsitz)
  Sitz: Oberschleißheim, Registergericht: Amtsgericht München HRB 129 710