[Portland] DAPI Sound for Portland? and general comments

Marc-André Lureau marcandre.lureau at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:57:15 PST 2007

On 1/12/07, Mikael Hallendal <micke at imendio.com> wrote:

> Just to clearify, I'm only talking about what I think fits in DAPI.
> Not that the features you describe wouldn't be useful in a multi-
> platform library/daemon.

Thanks, that is my POV :)

I think they fit in their own component as I said in my last email.
> DAPI can't be a full Sound-abstraction layer, that's not what it
> does. It's a layer to abstract common and simple operations that are
> used by a wide range of applications.

Then, due to the similarity of the design, and the goal, what about putting
these "more advanced interface for sound" in DAPI and call the library
dapi-sound? Sincerly, if you think about the needs, these interfaces are not
that advanced. Dealing with sound is probably a bit more complicated that
what people expect at the beginning. But still we can provide very simple
function like "Play". But such simple function will probably not be used for
long, because they are not really that useful...
--
Marc-André Lureau, GSmartMix