[Portland] Querying about the licensing issues for Xdg-utils

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Aug 11 07:50:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM,
suranjitsinha<suranjitsinha at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> This is to inform you that we are going to launch one of our new commercial
> product for OS like FC-6, FC-9 and Ubuntu. We want to include two of your
> utilities namely xdg-open and xdg-mime ...
> The point to mention is, this is a commercial product falls in our own
> license criteria. So will there be any legal issue if we package the above
> mention two tools along with our product? If so, can you please specify what
> we have to do to package those two with our product?

The licensing terms are given at the top of each of the scripts:
#   Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
#   copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
#   to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
#   the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
#   and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
#   Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
#   The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
#   in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
#   THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS
#   OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
#   FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL
#   THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR
#   OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
#   ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR
#   OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

That's fairly permissive.  Unless you do something really surprising,
you should be fine.
- Dan