[Portland] Querying about the licensing issues for Xdg-utils

Fathi Boudra fabo at freedesktop.org
Tue Aug 11 10:33:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:10 AM,
suranjitsinha<suranjitsinha at rediffmail.com> wrote:
> This is to inform you that we are going to launch one of our new commercial
> product for OS like FC-6, FC-9 and Ubuntu. We want to include two of your
> utilities namely xdg-open and xdg-mime as you mentioned in the webpage, ie.
> in our install directory we will create a path like
> $INSTALL_DIR/Xdg_utils/scripts and put those two tools under 'scripts'. Then
> in our post installation task we will export this path at the end of $PATH.
> Then any user can use this script if his/her system lacks these utilities.

if you don't add specific changes to xdg-utils utilities,
you can also make sure that xdg-utils is a dependency to your product
using distributor packaging system (rpm/deb).

> The point to mention is, this is a commercial product falls in our own
> license criteria. So will there be any legal issue if we package the above
> mention two tools along with our product?

xdg-utils is licensed under the MIT license.
It's fairly permissive and you should be able to distribute your
product with our utilities.

> If so, can you please specify what we have to do to package those two with our product?

keep copyright statements.

cheers,

Fathi