[pulseaudio-discuss] Audio over IP

CJ van den Berg cj at vdbonline.com
Fri Nov 10 08:05:23 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 04:34:15PM +0100, kxam at gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to do a study thesis about how to distribute Audio in the LAN. I
> hope you are the right reciver for my questions.  It will be great for me
> if you help me.
>
> So my exercise is to build a network with 10 clients, whose have the job
> to bring the signal from the microfon to a number of  other hosts, and to
> get it out the loudspeakers.  So one time I will send to one station, the
> other time to two, five or nine stations.  This job should be possible for
> every client and also simultaneously. So I have at most 81 active
> channels.
>
> Now my Questions:
>
> 1.Is it a good idea to realise this with pulseaudio? I think so. After
> reading the FAQ, it sounds easy.

Yes, pulseaudio should make a good solution to your problem. There are
several ways of doing it though, which various pros and cons. I suggest you
start with pulseaudio's rtp-send and rtp-recv modules and take it from
there.

> 2.So I have to install one server with pulseaudio, but which programm I
> take for the clients (Alsaplayer?)? Or I have to install pulseaudio on
> each machine?

You should use pulseaudio on both the server and clients. No media players
are needed.

> 3. Do you have more documention then FAQ, MaillingList and Docu at the Homepage?

Not that I know of.

> 4. Is there something like a forum for stupied pulseaudio users?

Just the mailing list. You can ask pretty much anything you want here as
long as it's pulseaudio related. If you want more interactive help I suggest
you join us on IRC. There are usually one or two willing helpers hanging out
there.

> 5. All the time I read about low latency, but do you have a value? Less then 10 ms?

Actual latency depends a lot on your specific situation, so general answer
is not really possible.

> I use a Debian Linux with Kernel 2.6 and my sound driver is ALSA
> v1.0.11rc4 and sounddevice is a onboard AC97.

The latest pulseaudio and most of the related software is now in debian
unstable and should reach debian testing soon.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj at vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj at vdbonline.com