[pulseaudio-discuss] Networked Audio on Win32

Jens Ehrich Jens at techniquemicro.com
Mon Nov 27 12:30:29 PST 2006

Hello Everyone,

I have just discovered PulseAudio, and it looks like a perfect solution
for a problem I have been trying to solve for some time - I would like
to pipe all audio from one windows computer to another across a 100Mbps
network with very low latency, and be able to mix it with audio already
playing on the "target" computer.  PulseAudio appears to be exactly what
I need, however I am having some trouble setting this up in a Win32
environment.

I have downloaded the windows binaries, and created the default.pa and
client.conf files (see attached) in the same folder.  When I
double-click the pulseaudio.exe file, I get the following messages:

pulsecore/random.c: failed to get proper entropy. Falling back to
seeding with c

urrent time.

pulsecore/core-util.c: secure directory creation not supported on Win32.

pulsecore/core.c: failed to allocate shared memory pool. Falling back to
a norma

l memory pool.

Unable to convert, filtering

pulsecore/socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Invalid argument

Unable to convert, filtering

pulsecore/socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Invalid argument

Unable to convert, filtering

pulsecore/socket-server.c: socket(PF_INET6): Invalid argument

daemon/main.c: Failed to load directory.

At this point I can telnet to the machine on port 4712 and get the
"Welcom to PulseAudio..." prompt, but here is where I get stuck.  I
can't figure out how to send audio from another machine to the one
running the pulseaudio.exe.  I have tried running the pulseaudio.exe on
the source machine, and also the paplay.exe but can't figure out the
rest.

I have read the FAQ on the main website, and searched the mailing list
archives, and can't find the information I need.  I am very new to this
and I would be grateful if someone could point me towards a tutorial/FAQ
etc. that would walk me through the initial setup.

Once I get this working, I would be happy to compile the information
into a win32 setup guide for other newbies like myself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sincerely,

Jens Ehrich MCP, MCSE

Systems Administrator