[pulseaudio-discuss] default sink

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Dec 16 21:42:54 PST 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:15:59PM -0500, Ritesh Kumar wrote:
>    BTW, what does pacmd's set-default-sink/source do? What is the meaning of
> the default sink? I figured out that alsamixer (through the pulse alsa
> plugin) always changes the mixer controls for the current default sink as
> per the pulseaudio daemon. However, I don't think the playback of a
> connecting client always goes to the current default sink. Is this expected
> behavior?

I think module-volume-restore is putting the streams it
recognizes to some other sink than the default. That is
expected behaviour. Otherwise the default sink should get
all new streams, assuming that the PULSE_SINK environment
variable isn't set.

>     Plus, I had a little suggestion too. Can we have a
> get-default-sink/source command in pacmd/pactl?

Create a ticket in Trac. I suppose that wouldn't be hard at
all to implement, at least for pacmd.