[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Dec 17 13:43:29 PST 2007

On Fri, 14.12.07 13:33, Richi Plana (richip at richip.dhs.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that PulseAudio's been in F8 a while, how do I actually use one of
> its touted features, namely transferring audio output to another
> pulseaudio-enabled computer?
>
> I've two Fedora 8 machines on the network where PA seems to run fine on
> each desktop. At least audio comes out through PA as shown by
> pavucontrol. I can't, however, see each other (as was demoed by Lennart
> in one of his videos). Other than pavucontrol, I don't even know how
> else to interact with the PA daemon.

As Alex Malinovich already mentioned, paprefs is the tool you are
looking for.

Please note however, that F8 ships with a pre-release of PA 0.9.7 and
lacks the automatic discovery of networked audio sinks via
zeroconf. Rawhide includes a newer snapshot of PA which includes
support for this.

> I just want to start off by being able to hear audio from another room,
> even if discovery of each device isn't zeroconf.

You can always set $PULSE_SERVER=theaudioserver on the shell and every
program you start from it will then redirect its audio to that
server. Alternatively, use the "pax11publish" to export the audio
server info to the X11 root window.