[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Richi Plana richip at richip.dhs.org
Mon Dec 17 16:17:59 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 22:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Take a look at paprefs, specifically the Network Access tab.
> >
> > Thanks for the tip. After installing paprefs, I enabled "network access
> > to local sound devices" but the "Allow other machines on LAN to browse
> > for local sound devices" remained grey'd out. Suffice it to say, I'm
> > not
>
> If this checkbox is greyed out, then you are missing the zeroconf
> plugins for PA. Consider installing the pulseaudio-module-zeroconf package.
>
> > seeing the local device of the other computer on both computers. I'm
> > using pulseaudio-0.9.7 on Fedora 8 on both. Is it too old?
>
> Yes, in some way. See my previous mail.
>
> > I'm also noticing an oddity on the two devices. When I enabled
> > Multicast/RTP sender on one machine, a virtual sink appeared on the
> > Output tab. When I enabled "Simultaenouse output", the simul output
> > virtual device appeared. When I did both on the other machine, neither
> > virtual output device appeared. Not my main concern right now (getting
> > audio to appear on a remote machine is), but I thought I'd mention the
> > oddity anyway.
>
> paprefs require pulseaudio-module-paprefs installed and
> activated. Which should be the default.

Thanks! I would chalk this up to a Fedora packaging problem. Which is
kind of odd considering they decided to include PA, much to the
consternation of a lot of users, touting its features, but not including
the packages by default that would allow these users to see what they're
getting for all the headaches. If they're going to put preview
technology, may as well include the good stuff with disclaimers.
--

Richi Plana