[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Dec 18 10:49:10 PST 2007

On Mon, 17.12.07 17:17, Richi Plana (richip at richip.dhs.org) wrote:

> > paprefs require pulseaudio-module-paprefs installed and
> > activated. Which should be the default.
>
> Thanks! I would chalk this up to a Fedora packaging problem. Which is
> kind of odd considering they decided to include PA, much to the
> consternation of a lot of users, touting its features, but not including
> the packages by default that would allow these users to see what they're
> getting for all the headaches. If they're going to put preview
> technology, may as well include the good stuff with disclaimers.

Hehe, since I am also the Fedora package maintainer of PA you should
be complaining to me about (potential) packaging errors.

We install only a minimal set of packages for PA by default. If you
want the fancy zeroconf or jack integration or whatever stuff, than
you are supposed to install additional packages manually. It's the
constant fight between those who yell "bloat!" and those who yell "i
want this totally exotic feature enabled by default!". We have to find
a path between these two poles. And thus we make good use of modern
package management systems like RPM and split things up into core
features that are installed by default and other features which are not.

Could you please paste the output of "ls" typed into "pacmd" whith the
resp. options enabled in paprefs? That should tell me if the needed
modules are properly loaded or not.