[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and Network Audio Devices

Richi Plana richip at richip.dhs.org
Thu Dec 20 09:54:01 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 10:16 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 08:42 +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > > Now it's just a matter of making "discoverable network sound devices
> > > available locally".
> >
> > Make sure you have avahi running and there's no firewall blocking it
> > from finding out the necessary info.
>
> So I did everything I could think of: switched off firewalls on both
> machines, enabled every option related to exporting and importing
> devices, restarted avahi-daemon ... and I finally got something! No,
> it's not exactly a working remote setup, but I did see the remote audio
> device appear locally virtually ... for all of a second.
>
> Now I can make the device appear by switching the option "Make
> discoverable network sound devices available locally" of and on again.
> This would make the virtual device appear temporarily then it would
> disappear. This works for both machines. It doesn't stay long enough for
> me to actually test it.
>
> Any idea why it's so fleeting?

I should probably add that a machine's audio resources only becomes
available to others if 1) the firewall is inactive, and 2) it doesn't
"require authentication". But again, it only appears fleetingly.

So now I've 3 problems:

1) How do I reconfigure the firewall so that it will allow PA services?
2) How do PA sessions authenticate users?
3) How do I make the virtual device actual stick (instead of just
disappearing like that)?

Thanks for all the help figuring things out. In all likelihood, this is
probably just a configuration thing that I can't seem to find in the
docs.
--

Richi Plana