[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA with Pulseaudio in Debian Etch

Paul Jones raptorman18 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 22:41:05 PST 2007

Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am running Debian
Etch with kernel 2.6.18-4-386.

My problem is that after installing and starting Pulseaudio I cannot run any
ALSA applications. When I go to "Gstreamer Properties" and select ALSA it
doesn't work, but ALSA does work when I am not running Pulseaudio.

Sound in general does work when I use Pulseaudio, I just have to force some
applications to use Pulseaudio.

I am still using all of the default configuration files, I have not changed
a thing.

I added the ./asoundrc file specified in the "Perfect Setup" page but that
seems to have no affect.

However, when I try the configuration file from the Gentoo Linux ALSA Wiki
for Pulseaudio as my /etc/pulse/default.pa, then everything works. I can use
ALSA with Pulseaudio. This is because the Gentoo configuration files sets
the default ALSA device as "dmix"   This is obviously unnecessary if you're
using Pulseaudio. I don't want to take the performance hit of using dmix
with Pulseaudio because I want the speed.

So, I go back to the default configuration file.

Anyway, I guess I need some assistance in getting a good Pulseaudio
configuration for my system. If you would like anymore information, please
feel free to drop me a line.!!

Thanks for your help in Advance!!!