[pulseaudio-discuss] ALSA with Pulseaudio in Debian Etch

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Thu Feb 15 02:44:22 PST 2007

Paul Jones wrote:
> ALSA with Pulseaudio. This is because the Gentoo configuration files sets
> the default ALSA device as "dmix"   This is obviously unnecessary if you're
> using Pulseaudio. I don't want to take the performance hit of using dmix
> with Pulseaudio because I want the speed.

If you wish to mix PulseAudio and applications that use ALSA directly,
then you must use dmix (unless you have a sound card capable of hw
mixing, but that doesn't seem to be the case here).

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00