[pulseaudio-discuss] Playing RTP streams

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 12 07:09:08 PDT 2007

On Fri, 13.07.07 01:26, John Morton (jwm at angrymonkey.net.nz) wrote:

> Doing netstat -nu picked up the default group (224.0.0.56) and the port, so I
> feed that to mplayer. The good news is that it buffered something. The bad
> news is that it had no idea what it was :-( (though on one occasion it
> guessed video, displaying something that looked like a crashed C64 :-)
>
> I assume it should be picking up something like raw DV audio?

Just some PCM audio, 16 bit, BE, stereo, 44 khz or similar. Pretty
standard. Consider playing around with the module-rtp-send parameters
to change the format we send our data in.

When I wrote that module I tested it against mplayer, hence I am sure
there must have been a way to get mplayer and PA work together. But
don't ask me how I did that...

> >  Also, afaik VLC can pick up the SAP announcements if you configure it
> >  to subscribe to the right mcast group.
>
> VLC seems to understand the idea of listening to the right multicast group,
> but does nothing in practice.

I know that I got the SAP stuff to show up in VLC, but I also remember
that I didn't get VLC to play anything.

As we send our data in a pretty standard format there should be easy
for VLC to add support for uncompressed audio. Consider filing a bug
upstream.

> I'm all out of other player options; nothing else in Debian Etch or Ubuntu
> Feisty seems to support multicast RTP.

There's a tool called "dumprtp" in the dvbstream package. You can use
it to build UNIX pipelines.