[pulseaudio-discuss] Clicks or buzzing on Bluetooth

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:10:45 PDT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Brad Midgley wrote:

> Which module would be the best example for writing a bluetooth module?
> It will link up our recent work in bluez on a bluetooth audio server
> with a native pulse module.

I'm totally over my head here, but I'll maunder: it sounds like you want to
take module-alsa-sink (also source), rip out all the ALSA interface, and
replace it with the guts of a2dpd.  Possibly in the form of a shared
library, which could also be used in the standalone a2dpd.

> We have dbus messages to indicate a new headset appearing and dbus
> interfaces to query and attach headsets. We then use a unix socket to
> the bluez server to get a file descriptor for sending audio to the
> current adapter.

"We have" means "we will have" rather than "we already have", right?  If
the idea is to maintain the separate process for a2dpd...  I think what you
propose would be reasonable, particularly if a2dpd passed the writing end
of a pipe as a FD over some socket.  Or would it be sufficient if a2dpd
just provided a UNIX domain socket on which it listened?  And similarly for
whichever daemon does SCO; I forgot its name.

The dbus messages wouldn't be limited to just headphones, would it?  This
sounds like a job for HAL.  Or am I describing what already exists?  It
also seems like a HCI-level activity, not specific to the two audio
daemons.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)