[pulseaudio-discuss] Clicks or buzzing on Bluetooth

Justin Tulloss jmtulloss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:23:04 PDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Jim Carter <jimc at math.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Brad Midgley wrote:
>
> > Which module would be the best example for writing a bluetooth module?
> > It will link up our recent work in bluez on a bluetooth audio server
> > with a native pulse module.
>
> I'm totally over my head here, but I'll maunder: it sounds like you want
> take module-alsa-sink (also source),

I'm not sure I would use a module to do this. It seems like you could make
your bluetooth stack a pulse client instead. We have a variety of software
systems that might want access to the pulse output, so I created a "system"
sink that is just a null sink. If they want access to it, they can just
attach to the "system" monitor source. I have yet to see how well that
actually works in practice, but it means I don't have to worry about all
those user-level stacks.

However, if you did want to make a module, alsa might not be the right model
to follow either. The ALSA interface is pretty specific to ALSA, so its a
bit confusing. The OSS module is a good reference for a char style
interface, but it sounds like you have a plan to use pipes, so why not just
alter the module-pipe to meet your needs?

Justin