[pulseaudio-discuss] New application using PulseAudio and Simple API question

Ed Schouten ed at fxq.nl
Tue Jun 5 05:13:43 PDT 2007

* CJ van den Berg <cj at vdbonline.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 01:19:45PM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > * CJ van den Berg <cj at vdbonline.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Why not just hardlink the pulseaudio socket (ie. /tmp/pulse-${USER}/native
> > > or /var/run/pulse/native) into the chroot?
> >
> > Because I'd like the application to not require any resources while
> > chroot()'ed. That's also why the application calls res_init() before the
> > chroot()-call, which causes stuff that needs DNS (AudioScrobbler, HTTP
> > audio streams) to Just Work (tm).
>
> It requires the resource (ie. the pulseaudio socket) either way. Whether it
> opens it before the chroot or after makes no difference. Either way the
> process has an open file descriptor that connects it to pulseaudio that may
> (or may not) be a security risk.

Of course I'll always need the socket, but it would be cool if users
wouldn't have to hardlink the socket to get music inside the chroot
working. I took a look at the PulseAudio source code and it looks like
it isn't possible to change the pa_sample_spec of an open stream (see
stream.c).

Maybe this evening I'll take a look if it's possible to delay the
opening of the stream when the `ss' argument is NULL, so I can call
pa_simple_new() to already instantiate the connection to the daemon
before the chroot() call.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at fxq.nl>