[pulseaudio-discuss] amd64, pulseaudio, and nspluginwrapper

Alex Malinovich alex at malinovich.name
Tue Mar 6 05:45:17 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:28 +0000, Mike Mazur wrote:
--snip--
> > I THINK that what's going on is that the wrapper is trying to call the
> > 32-bit sound libraries, and there are no 32-bit compatibility libraries
> > for pulse (at least in Debian). Does anyone know if this is the case,
> > and if so, how to get around it? Is it possible to build a
> > pulseaudioia32 or something similar? This is the last remaining step for
> > me in the Perfect Setup. Any ideas?
> >

> I'm facing the same problem. Have you had any success on this front yet? I
> compiled the Flash 9 PulseAudio plugin from
> http://pulseaudio.revolutionlinux.com/PulseAudio but still no sound. I suspect
> you're right, somehow Flash is looking for 32-bit versions of the audio plugins.

Well, I've just spent the last 4 hours working on this and I've made a
LITTLE progress. I can now at least get the flash plugin in a 32-bit
browser to give me sound (after installing the libflashsupport package)
through pulse. But that defeats the purpose of nspluginwrapper in the
first place. :)

I did quite a bit of testing and I've confirmed that having my .asoundrc
setup to use the pulse plugins, iceweasel/flash (not sure which is
actually doing it) will load the 32-bit version of the ALSA libraries
and then attempt to load the pulse plugins.

By hacking up my /usr/lib directory with some "invalid" (32-bit)
libraries, I can get as far as having PULSE messages coming out on
STDERR instead of ALSA messages when I fire up my browser. What I keep
getting is Connection terminated messages from pulse.

Note that to get to this point I had to replace some of my 64-bit
libraries in /usr/lib with their 32-bit counterparts. Some part in the
whole process seems to insist on loading the libs from /usr/lib instead
of looking in my 32-bit libs directory (/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib).

But it's 5:30 am local time now, so I'm going to go to bed and continue
working on it "tomorrow" (later today). I'm going to try create a biarch
Debian package of the libasound2-plugins package and see if that helps
matters at all.

In the meantime, if you want to at least get some pulse error messages
(instead of alsa), make sure that your .asoundrc is setup to use pulse,
then move libasound2_plugins_pcm_pulse.so out of the way
in /usr/lib/alsa-lib, and replace it with the 32-bit version of the file
and install the 32-bit version of the libflashsupport package. If you
run your browser from the command-line you should start seeing pulse
error messages popping up. If you do get any further than that please
let me know. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837