[pulseaudio-discuss] a2dpd stuttering and my experience thus far

Jeff jeff at mgalug.org
Fri Nov 2 20:42:35 PDT 2007

RE:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pulseaudio-discuss@mail.0pointer.de/msg00578.html

Its been a long time since I've posted to a listserve, so be patient
with me please...

I've been using my HT820 headphones for several months now with alsa and
a2dpd. I used Ubuntu Edgy Eft for a while then moved on to Gutsy, but
kept the Eft as a backup - solely because a2dpd was working perfectly
therein. Now the newer kernel that came with Gutsy tripped up the
playback to produce some stuttering, but it has mostly worked out of the
system.

I wanted to point out that if you have any other bluetooth device that
the system is seeking or is connected to like a mouse, then you will
have very choppy sound due to bandwidth issues. I understand the BT
takes all the bandwidth on one adapter to produce the quality stereo
sound.... I found a simple method to work around that issue... 2 BT
adapters!! I use the internal one on the laptop with the BT headphones
and connect a nice little USB model for the mouse.

I first pair the mouse with internal BT turned off... Then pair the
headphones with internal BT on... I can power up and issue my a2dpd as
root... I use several config files and start the one I want ... say one
for audacious or xmms. I have not worked that out exact enough to make
it simple, but it is easy enough to do. If you want more info, examples
of my files, etc. just ask. So anyways, I start the file... "sudo a2dpd
-o -b -d -f /home/user/.a2aud " if i want to monitor what is happening.
I still get the error of "ring buffer full" and such with some streams,
but again... stuff like pause, fwd, rev and stop work....

I would love to have this just be an option in my kmix or gnome mixer...
I do have a volume control, but I have to start the command as above or
I get nothing on the phones....

Looking forward to any info you guys can provide... Also saw that Fedora
8 will come with pulseaudio out of the box.!!  That is great news.

Jeff (aka nomasteryoda)
Jeff <<AT>> mgalug DOT org