[pulseaudio-discuss] Fail to start pulse-audio on Gentoo.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Nov 9 16:11:40 PST 2007

On Sat, 10.11.07 01:35, Alexei Sergeyev (alexeisergeev at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello, I've emerged pulse-audio on gentoo linux.
> All was fine, but pulse-audio crush on start.
>
> I have alsa-in-kernel working fine and hal installed.
> Here is run log:
>
> #pulseaudio
> E: shm.c: shm_open() failed: Permission denied
> W: core.c: failed to allocate shared memory pool. Falling back to a
> normal memory pool.

Hmm, your system is lacking POSIX shared memory as it seems. Please
ask your distro maintainers to mount tmpfs to /dev/shm with proper
access mode by default. That's required for POSIX shared memory to
work, and has been since 2001.

> E: module-alsa-sink.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device=hw:0
> sink_name=alsa_output.pci_8086_24d5_alsa_playback_0"): initialization failed.
> ALSA lib pcm_mmap.c:369:(snd_pcm_mmap) mmap failed: Invalid argument
> E: module-alsa-source.c: Failed to set hardware parameters: Invalid argument
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-source"
> (argument: "device=hw:1
> source_name=alsa_input.pci_1131_7133_alsa_capture_0"): initialization failed.

Some other application is using your sound device. "fuser -v
/dev/snd/* /dev/dsp*" which process is to blame.