[pulseaudio-discuss] Fail to start pulse-audio on Gentoo.

Rémi Cardona remi at gentoo.org
Fri Nov 9 23:37:52 PST 2007

Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Sat, 10.11.07 01:35, Alexei Sergeyev (alexeisergeev at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Hello, I've emerged pulse-audio on gentoo linux.
>> All was fine, but pulse-audio crush on start.
>>
>> I have alsa-in-kernel working fine and hal installed.
>> Here is run log:
>>
>> #pulseaudio
>> E: shm.c: shm_open() failed: Permission denied
>> W: core.c: failed to allocate shared memory pool. Falling back to a
>> normal memory pool.
>
> Hmm, your system is lacking POSIX shared memory as it seems. Please
> ask your distro maintainers to mount tmpfs to /dev/shm with proper
> access mode by default. That's required for POSIX shared memory to
> work, and has been since 2001.

Alexei, make sure you have :
1) CONFIG_SHMEM=y and CONFIG_TMPFS=y in your kernel's .config file
If not, run "make menuconfig" and enable it in File Systems -> Pseudo
filesystems -> Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
2) you should also have "none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0" in your fstab

Both of which are standard defaults on Gentoo.

Cheers,

Rémi