[pulseaudio-discuss] Mixing streams

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Nov 15 05:13:51 PST 2007

On Wed, 14.11.07 09:56, Dennis Fleming (Dennis.Fleming at palm.com) wrote:

Hi!

> I have noticed that in pa_mix streams are clipped when they exceed the
> threshold.  Has there been any discussion on normalizing the output
> rather than clipping?  Or am I looking in the wrong place.

It might indeed make sense to apply some kind of normalization based
on dynamic range compression when mixing audio.

The TAP LADSPA plugins contain a supposedly very good limiter. It
might make sense to steal that code (license permitting) and use it in
the PA mixer -- if it doesn't add extra latency.

Patches welcome!