[pulseaudio-discuss] pulse gui

Esteban Salazar eagsalazar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:19:50 PST 2007

Hi, I have been trying to get pulse audio working on gutsy and have had some
trouble, mainly I think because I'm confused by the gui.

What about something like the attached image?  Instead of having to go to a
stream mixing dialog you can just right click on the apps and reroute audio
right there.  The menu options could even appear and disappear depending on
if their are any input or output streams.

Then the preferences could be just:

Server Name [     ]
Allow other computers to browse? [x]
Require Password? [x]
   Set Password [    ]
Default output device [ ]
Default input device [ ]

and that is it.  Maybe more advanced settings could be discoverable in
gconf-editor or some other more advance gui but I think for 99% of normal
usage instances, that would be all someone needs.

Maybe multicast stream could be one of the output device options.

For authentication when trying to play to a remote device, just prompt the
user when they try and check the output box

The only other gui I can see anybody ever using is the volume meter which
would be nice.

This makes the gui very simple, obvious and explicit and exposes all the
functionality.

Anyway, this is just my 2cents because I find the current gui confusing.

Anyway, thanks and I really hope this technology succeeds because it is a
great idea.