[pulseaudio-discuss] pulse gui

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Nov 15 09:17:05 PST 2007

On Wed, 14.11.07 22:19, Esteban Salazar (eagsalazar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi, I have been trying to get pulse audio working on gutsy and have had some
> trouble, mainly I think because I'm confused by the gui.
>
> What about something like the attached image?  Instead of having to go to a
> stream mixing dialog you can just right click on the apps and reroute audio
> right there.  The menu options could even appear and disappear depending on
> if their are any input or output streams.

In fact something like this has been on my TODO list. For that to work
we however need to attach more meta information to each stream (like
X11 window id, or PID), which is on my TODO list however.

> Then the preferences could be just:
>
> Server Name [     ]
> Allow other computers to browse? [x]
> Require Password? [x]
>    Set Password [    ]
> Default output device [ ]
> Default input device [ ]

Have you seen the paprefs 0.9.6? It makes configuration of remote
audio devices exceptionally easy if you have zeroconf: click on one
checkbox and open the local devices for the network. Click on a second
one to make all devices that are available on the LAN available
locally. i.e. you don't even have to specify a server name or
suchlike. However right now there is no way to to configure passwords
or something like that. I am not happy with the state of the whole
authentication business in PA right now. But when I rework this I will
probably move to something like TLS, which however is a non-trivial
amount of work. And I am probably not going for passwords.

paprefs 0.9.6 and zeroconf is demoed here:

         http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-097.html

> For authentication when trying to play to a remote device, just prompt the
> user when they try and check the output box

This is more problematic than it might sound at first. I am not sure
how to best implment the whole auth stuff. but see above.