[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with 0.9.7 and Audacious

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Nov 19 17:16:26 PST 2007

On Fri, 16.11.07 18:36, Thomas Jost (thomas.jost at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same kind of problem with mplayer (svn version) and its
> pulseaudio output : shorts pauses about every seconds, which makes it
> impossible to watch anything.

HHmm, does Mplayer SVN ship a Pulse plugin now? Or did you apply the
patch I wrote a long time ago but which afaik never got merged?

> I noticed that if I don't load module-x11-publish (or if I run
> "pax11publish -r"), things work nicely. And if I then run "pax11publish -e"
> it starts not working again.
>
> In the same time everything works perfectly with xine and mpd, without
> having to disable module-x11-publish or anything else.

Hmm, my instinct tells me that this probably has something to do with
using TCP vs. using UNIX sockets. If you use module-x11-publish then
the order of protocols that are published to X11 and thus are used by
clients to connect to the PA server depend on the order the native
protocol modules have been loaded into the server.

If module-x11-publish is not used then UNIX sockets are always
preferred over TCP sockets. If you use module-x11-published is used
then it *might* be the other way round.

Please paste what "pax11publish" (without any arguments) outputs!

Most likely MPlayer is using very short buffers in PA. They can be
smaller if you use UNIX sockets, and need to be a bit larger if you
use TCP. By default they are chosen quite large, so that they are safe
on all transports. I wonder why that is not sufficient on mplayer.