[pulseaudio-discuss] pstream.c: Failed to import memory block.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 20 13:36:24 PST 2007

On Tue, 20.11.07 16:32, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > I wouldn't want to speculate about this.
> > >

> > I just spoke to the Ubuntu guys. They have the file
> > /etc/default/pulseaudio which can be used to enable system wide
> > mode. Most likely you modified that file?
>
> Looking at it I must have modified it a while ago and forgotten. If
> you don't turn
> PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1 on, you can't start pulse using
> /etc/init.d/pulseaudio and then pulse doesn't start on boot. Editing
> that file is the standard way of turning on services in Ubuntu.
>
> Am I supposed to start it with my Gnome session instead?

Yes, PA is normally started as a drop-in replacement for esd. I.e. it
provides a compatibility script called "esd" that actually starts
PA. All you have to do is to toggle the "Start ESD" checkbox in g-s-p.

> What to do is not exactly obvious when installing the package.

But afaik the file in /etc/default/ tells you that using the
system-wide stuff is not recommended and not what most people would
want to use.