[pulseaudio-discuss] Cheap little pulse server

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at revolutionlinux.com
Fri Nov 30 07:06:53 PST 2007

Le vendredi 30 novembre 2007 à 14:19 +0000, Colin Guthrie a écrit :
> Has anyone priced up how cheap they could make a pulse server?

Yes, think LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project). An X terminal is
basically a Pulse Server with a monitor, keyboard and mouse ;-)

Our company has deployed thousands of these terminals in offices and
schools.

One interesting model ($139) is this:
http://devonit.com/terminals/terminals_overview.php

Another company that makes interesting products is:
http://www.norhtec.com/products/index.html

We can also go as low as $20-$40 with recycled computers. We bought a
truckload of Dell Optiplex PII/400 mhz for $20 each. Right now, the big
special is a PIII 800mhz for $39: http://insertech.qc.ca/ang/usage-a.htm

> I'm thinking:
>
> * Small mobo with not very powerful CPU.
> * Sound output (obviously)
> * Small amount of ram
> * Ethernet (wired and/or wireless)
> * Onboard flash or PXE capable boot
>
> With the above it would be possible to tailor a small linux install to
> boot and run pulse and have it publish itself to your network with
> zeroconf-publish and tunnel-sink.
>
> Has anyone done any research on this? What's the cheapest possible way
> of doing it. Anyone manage to rip out cheap consumer electronics gear
> and slap their own linux kernel + pulse on it?
>

> It's a Friday and I'm struggling to do any real work..... ;)
>
> Col

Jean-Michel Dault <jmdault at revolutionlinux.com>
Révolution Linux inc.