[pulseaudio-discuss] Cheap little pulse server

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Fri Nov 30 10:42:56 PST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Colin Guthrie wrote:

> Has anyone priced up how cheap they could make a pulse server?
>
> * Small mobo with not very powerful CPU.
> * Sound output (obviously)
> * Small amount of ram
> * Ethernet (wired and/or wireless)
> * Onboard flash or PXE capable boot
>
> It's a Friday and I'm struggling to do any real work..... ;)

I've been looking at the Koolu Thin Client ( http://koolu.com ): $200
Canadian + $39 shipping; add $100 for a 80 Gb laptop disc; AMD Geode (i386
family, with FPU) at 500 MHz, 512Mb RAM, AC97 sound (mic/headphone), one
802.3 ethernet (10/100 MHz), four USB-2.0, power under 10W (from wall wart,
no fan), size 14 x 14.5 x 3.5 cm, can boot from internal disc (if present),
USB flash memory, or net (PXE).

Also looking at http://www.fic.com.tw/product/minipc.aspx for the First
International Computer "Mini PC Ion A603" (FIC is believed to sell under
the Everex brand): this appears identical to the Koolu, and from comments
on Koolu's website I don't know whether Koolu developed the mobo and
package and then sold the product line to FIC, or whether Koolu is now
reselling the Everex Ion, or both.  For some reason, Koolu is currently
behind on shipments :-(

Also an apparently identical product is resold by NorthTec
( http://www.norhtec.com/ ) which calls it the "New MicroClient"; for $250
USD you get 256 Mb RAM and a 40 Gb disc.  NorthTec has other interesting
boxes.

You mentioned a "not very powerful CPU".  A few years ago a 500 MHz CPU
would have been top of the line.  As long as I don't do 3D graphics or
compositing, and don't run a modern Desktop Environment that's almost as
bloated as Windows, 500 MHz is going to be total overkill for my home
server.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)