[pulseaudio-discuss] A pulseaudio appliance

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:54:54 PDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Kevin Fox <Kevin.Fox at pnl.gov> wrote:
> We've been trying over here to get pulseaudio working on a wma11b and a
> wyse winterm s90 and have been unsuccessful. Most of these lower power
> devices only work with one type of audio and makes pulse transcode
> otherwise. pulse hits 100% and can't transcode quickly enough. :/
>
> I've heard it may be a problem with a library pulse depends on not being
> very efficient. Any ideas when this might be fixed?

Pulse is probably trying to use floating point to do audio transforms.
These low end devices don't have a FPU. Software floating point is way
too slow and it eats 100% of your CPU.

mpd has been integer optimized on the NSLU2, it doesn't use float.

LP3180 and MPC5200B are low embedded processors with FPUs that are
easy to work with. You can get development boards for them here:
www.phytec.com but they aren't cheap.