[pulseaudio-discuss] Public git mirror of pulseaudio svn

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 16 09:45:44 PDT 2007

On Sun, 14.10.07 22:05, CJ van den Berg (cj at vdbonline.com) wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 02:06:09AM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I was thinking to move the whole thing onto my servers (i.e. both the rep
> > and the sync stuff). I don't know svn-git that well, but it would be sexy
> > if we could set up a two-way real-time mirror between git and svn. And for
> > that it would probably best if the SVN and GIT reps would sit on the same
> > host.
>
> That's probably at least partially possible, but I would have to wonder if
> it's worth the effort. Once you can commit directly to git, what's the point
> of having it mirrored to svn? I personally doubt anyone would use it once
> git is supported for commits.

Integration into Trac is much better. i.e. I can close a bug report in
Trac with a commit message. That's lacking in GIT. I can easily
reference commits from wiki pages and so on.

Also, PA compiles on Win32 fine too. And the last time I looked git
for Win32 wasn't really ready yet.

> As for Trac supporting git, I doubt it'll happen any time soon. Just because
> there is very little benefit (again, IMHO), because a.) gitweb is far
> superior to Trac's source browser (as far as git is concerned), and b.) Trac
> can probably already be used as a ticketing system in combination with
> gitweb as-is.  So I don't see any major itch scratching happening in that
> direction soon.

There's a git plugin for Trac, but quite frankly it sucks. And hooking
Trac up with a different source browser is difficult because you lose
all the tight integration between the source browser and the rest of trac.

Anyway, I see enough reasons to keep SVN around for now. I'd be happy
to switch entirely, but I do love the nice integration of SVN and Trac.