[pulseaudio-discuss] SHM Error Messages

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Apr 20 19:56:21 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:04:14PM -0400, Jim Duda wrote:
> I don't know what I have done now, but suddenly sound stopped working on
> my desktop fc8 computer.  I must have changed some setting ...
>
> I'm getting this message in /var/log/messages whenever I try to play
> anything.  Can anyone tell me what this message indicates?
>
>   pstream.c: Recieved SHM frame on a socket where SHM is disabled.

I do not know what that indicates. I've seen that problem
once earlier at #pulseaudio, and in that case everything
seemed fine. I'm not a shared memory expert, so for me
"everything" means the following (you can check these too):
/dev/shm is mounted as tmpfs and the permissions are correct
(i.e. the same as on my own machine):

drwxrwxrwt 3 root root 80 21.4. 05:40 /dev/shm

A workaround which should get your sound back is to
uncomment (the semicolon is a comment character!) the
disable-shm line in daemon.conf and set the value to "yes".

--
Tanu Kaskinen