[pulseaudio-discuss] Assertion in module-oss

Stanley Cai stanley.w.cai at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:40:31 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 03:31:34PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> This seems to be some strangeness in your audio driver. When PA
> initialized itself it made sure that the mixer device had at least a
> PCM or master volume track. When PA came back from the suspend and
> opened the audio device again those tracks were gone! This means
> either that your sound driver is buggy, or that the device files were
> shuffled around (due to hotplug?).
I tried OSS because I didnot find libalsa-dev package on ubuntu 8.04.:(
So I tried OSS on it, which should be based on ALSA. This OSS driver does not
support reading mixer settings. aka devmask == 0 in the case.
IMHO, if pa_init of module-oss.c just gave a warning when it read devmask
and found it was 0, pa_assert() in sink/source_get/set_volume is
unnecessary. We know from the beginning it will be asserted somehow.
I tried in my laptop by commenting out all pa_assert(u->mixer_devmask &
(SOUND_MASK_VOLUME|SOUND_MASK_PCM)). It works fine. module-oss is
resumed and I hear the sound.

> But why do you use OSS anyway? Use ALSA and the default configuration.
I tried ALSA today. It works fine on my ubuntu 8.04. Thanks.

Best regards,
--
Stanley Cai
Gtalk: stanley.w.cai at gmail.com