[pulseaudio-discuss] Multiseat and pulseaudio -system-wide daemon

Muylle Bart Muylle.Bart at skynet.be
Sun Aug 3 04:58:40 PDT 2008

Michal Sawicz schreef:
> Dnia 2008-07-30, śro o godzinie 15:54 +0200, Lennart Poettering pisze:
>
>> I am not sure if the system wide daemon is a good choice here.
>>

> I wanted to tell him the same thing, but refrained from it... 'Cause on
> the other hand it seems to be the only way - having all the users able
> to send audio to all the cards.
I think also that's the only way, when you start pulseaudio 4 times it
will be verry strange ?

>  If the users don't, for example, use the
> same seats every time, it will be difficult to get the correct card to
> send to. On the other hand the system wide approach would let the users
> 'spam' each other's speakers...
Yeah but that's not a problem, they can do something like this but they
don't.  The only thing that I will have is at start the right output to
the right screen. ( user1 will always be to screen 1, user2 to screen2 ...)

> A per-user daemon would mean that the
> cards would be blocked whenever one of the users use it, no? This way it
> would be possible for one user to block all the cards... And yeah, I
> don't have a clear idea on how to do it, either.

When I try this whit per-user daemon, how can I do this ?

I found this on google :

http://blog.chris.tylers.info/index.php?/archives/128-Multiseat-Sound.html

http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/97-Artsy-Tuesday-Pulseaudio-Next-generation-audio-server.html

That's also with the system-wide daemon, but I don't know how can I
solve the other problem :

<cut>

The sound starts always on the user he's first start. example, user 3
log first on and then user 2 .  The sound goes to the output describe
for user 3 also for user 2 the sound goes to speakers 3. When I restart
the computer en first log user 2 in and then user 3 , the sound goes to
speaker 2 also for user 3 -> speaker 2.

When I changed with the aplet, it works fine. but on restart it's
changed to the user that have first log-in.

</cut>

Gtrz,

Bart