[pulseaudio-discuss] Hard-coded allocation of 64 MB of memory upfront too big in some scenarios

rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de rdiezmail-pulseaudio at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 26 06:10:13 PDT 2008

I'm compiling the client library for an embedded PowerPC target without shared memory or the like. In fact, the device has much less memory than a standard PC.

In this scenario, PA_MEMPOOL_SLOT_SIZE is set to a rather big value in pulsecore/memblock.c :

#define PA_MEMPOOL_SLOT_SIZE (64*1024)

That causes allocation of 64 MB at once later on, before establishing any audio connections to the server. If you're using the client library's asynchronous interface to play a simple sound say from a file, you don't need that much memory, do you? How much should I go for?

That big allocation was a surprise, there's no mention of it anywhere in the documentation (or have I missed it?). I wish this value was configurable somehow, I had to modify the source code to reduce it.

Many thanks,
  Ruben