[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 26 11:04:37 PDT 2008

On Tue, 26.08.08 16:08, Kevin Gilbert (kevin952 at tpg.com.au) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get an jukebox application going on a Sony PlayStation3 using
> Qt-Embedded, Phonon and PulseAudio. The application is working well on my KDE-
> based laptop where it appears that the application is using Phonon -> ALSA ->
> PulseAudio. But there is no sound from the application when run on the PS3.
>
> BTW, the base software on both systems is Fedora 9 but on the PS3 I'm running
> a kernel downloaded from
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git. The kernel
> has both ALSA and OSS compiled in.
>
> Using the following /etc/pulse/default.pa file I can get output from aplay,
> paplay and mplayer (the latter with "-ao pulse").

The pa -vv output you posted is not very useful: first the oss module
initializes, and takes aways the audio device. Subsequently loading
the alsa modules will of course note work, because the audio device is
already taken by the oss driver.

Please choose either ALSA xor OSS, not both.

And if you ask me, don't use OSS at all.