[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Kevin Gilbert kevin952 at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 26 14:05:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Lennart Poettering opined:
> On Tue, 26.08.08 16:08, Kevin Gilbert (kevin952 at tpg.com.au) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get an jukebox application going on a Sony PlayStation3
> > using Qt-Embedded, Phonon and PulseAudio. The application is working well
> > on my KDE- based laptop where it appears that the application is using
> > Phonon -> ALSA -> PulseAudio. But there is no sound from the application
> > when run on the PS3.
> >
> > BTW, the base software on both systems is Fedora 9 but on the PS3 I'm
> > running a kernel downloaded from
> >  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git. The
> > kernel has both ALSA and OSS compiled in.
> >
> > Using the following /etc/pulse/default.pa file I can get output from
> > aplay, paplay and mplayer (the latter with "-ao pulse").
>
> The pa -vv output you posted is not very useful: first the oss module
> initializes, and takes aways the audio device. Subsequently loading
> the alsa modules will of course note work, because the audio device is
> already taken by the oss driver.
>
> Please choose either ALSA xor OSS, not both.
>
> And if you ask me, don't use OSS at all.

Hi,

OK, removed the OSS driver, pulseaudio trace as follows along with the output
generated because of paplay, aplay and mplayer from another console session.
Of course, there was no sound from the system.

Could my /etc/alsa/alsa.conf be the problem? Haven't posted it here because of
its size.

Cheers,
Kevin

=== begin ===
# pulseaudio -vvv --system
I: core-util.c: Successfully gained nice level -11.
I: main.c: Found user 'pulse' (UID 497) and group 'pulse' (GID 496).
I: main.c: Successfully dropped root privileges.
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
I: main.c: This is PulseAudio 0.9.10
I: main.c: Page size is 4096 bytes
I: main.c: Fresh high-resolution timers available! Bon appetit!
I: module-hal-detect.c: Trying capability alsa
D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_timer
D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_alsa_sequencer
D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0
sink_name=alsa_output.ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_playback_0'
D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device front:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround40:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround40:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround41:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround41:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround50:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround50:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround51:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround71:0...
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71:0
I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround71:0: Invalid argument
D: alsa-util.c: Trying hw:0 as last resort...
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such file or directory
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0
sink_name=alsa_output.ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_playback_0"): initialization
failed.
D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_playback_0
D: module-hal-detect.c: Not loaded device
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_control__1
I: module-hal-detect.c: Loaded 0 modules.
I: module.c: Loaded "module-hal-detect" (index: #0; argument: "").
D: authkey.c: Got 0 bytes from cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.esd_auth',
expected 16
I: module.c: Loaded "module-esound-protocol-unix" (index: #1; argument: "").
I: protocol-native.c: Allowing access to group 'pulse-access'.
D: authkey.c: Got 0 bytes from cookie file '/var/run/pulse/.pulse-cookie',
expected 256
I: protocol-native.c: loading cookie from disk.
I: module.c: Loaded "module-native-protocol-unix" (index: #2; argument: "").
I: module-volume-restore.c: starting with empty ruleset.
I: module.c: Loaded "module-volume-restore" (index: #3; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-default-device-restore" (index: #4; argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-rescue-streams" (index: #5; argument: "").
D: cli-command.c: Checking for existance of
'/usr/lib/pulse-0.9/modules//module-gconf.so': success
I: module.c: Loaded "module-gconf" (index: #6; argument: "").
I: main.c: Daemon startup complete.
D: module-hal-detect.c: dbus: interface=org.freedesktop.DBus,
path=/org/freedesktop/DBus, member=NameAcquired

=== from paplay ===

I: client.c: Created 0 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
I: protocol-native.c: Got credentials: uid=0 gid=0 success=1
I: client.c: Client 0 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
to "paplay"
D: sink-input.c: Assertion 'data->sink' failed at pulsecore/sink-input.c:110,
function pa_sink_input_new.
I: client.c: Freed 0 "paplay"
I: protocol-native.c: connection died.

=== from aplay ===

I: client.c: Created 1 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
I: protocol-native.c: Got credentials: uid=0 gid=0 success=1
I: client.c: Client 1 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
to "ALSA plug-in [aplay]"
D: sink-input.c: Assertion 'data->sink' failed at pulsecore/sink-input.c:110,
function pa_sink_input_new.
I: client.c: Freed 1 "ALSA plug-in [aplay]"
I: protocol-native.c: connection died.

=== from mplayer -ao pulse ===

I: client.c: Created 2 "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
I: protocol-native.c: Got credentials: uid=0 gid=0 success=1
I: client.c: Client 2 changed name from "Native client (UNIX socket client)"
to "MPlayer"
D: sink-input.c: Assertion 'data->sink' failed at pulsecore/sink-input.c:110,
function pa_sink_input_new.
I: client.c: Freed 2 "MPlayer"
I: protocol-native.c: connection died.