[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with pulseaudio / asla on PS3

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Aug 26 14:13:41 PDT 2008

On Wed, 27.08.08 07:05, Kevin Gilbert (kevin952 at tpg.com.au) wrote:

> OK, removed the OSS driver, pulseaudio trace as follows along with the output
> generated because of paplay, aplay and mplayer from another console session.
> Of course, there was no sound from the system.
>
> Could my /etc/alsa/alsa.conf be the problem? Haven't posted it here because of
> its size.

Dunno, probably not.

> D: module-hal-detect.c: Loading module-alsa-sink with arguments 'device_id=0
> sink_name=alsa_output.ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_playback_0'
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying front:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device front:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround40:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround40:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround41:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround41:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround50:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround50:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround51:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying surround71:0...
> ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71:0
> I: alsa-util.c: Couldn't open PCM device surround71:0: Invalid argument
> D: alsa-util.c: Trying hw:0 as last resort...
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1240:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such file or directory
> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0
> sink_name=alsa_output.ps3_system_bus_ioc0_02_alsa_playback_0"): initialization
> failed.

PA tries to open audio device via a lot of different device strings,
but apparently it may not be opened via any of them. Could you check
if you can open the device with aplay? (i.e. "aplay -f CD -D hw:0 <
/dev/urandom" or something similar?)

Maybe you have a permission problem?

Please check with strace what actually happens.