[pulseaudio-discuss] couple with vnc

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Dec 9 17:50:29 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 20:22 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One thing that sprang to mind with pulseaudio's network protocol is a
> coupling with VNC.  Pulseaudio can bring the audio from a VNC server to
> client enhancing the whole "remote desktop" experience.
>
> Certainly I could, once I have logged into a remote desktop simply
> change the sound server to that of my local machine (i.e. VNC) client
> through the applet, but wouldn't it be so much nicer if that happened
> automagically?
>
> It would seem that most of the work for such an integration is in fact
> in the VNC server, not pulseaudio, but two questions come to mind before
> I go bugging the VNC guys:
>
>      1. Can pulseaudio be told to send sound to a remote server as well
>         as continuing to send sound to the local sound hardware?
>      2. What programmatic interfaces exist to make the above changes and
>         then undo them?
<snip>
I don't know about VNC but there is an active effort to integrate
pulseaudio with X2Go (http://www.x2go.org and
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/x2go/ ).  There are certainly
places to use VNC over X2Go but X2Go does provide blazingly fast remote
access even over low bandwidth and poor quality links.  The basic idea
is the same as you articulate here.  Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com