[pulseaudio-discuss] couple with vnc

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Dec 9 17:22:29 PST 2008

Hi All,

One thing that sprang to mind with pulseaudio's network protocol is a
coupling with VNC.  Pulseaudio can bring the audio from a VNC server to
client enhancing the whole "remote desktop" experience.

Certainly I could, once I have logged into a remote desktop simply
change the sound server to that of my local machine (i.e. VNC) client
through the applet, but wouldn't it be so much nicer if that happened
automagically?

It would seem that most of the work for such an integration is in fact
in the VNC server, not pulseaudio, but two questions come to mind before
I go bugging the VNC guys:

     1. Can pulseaudio be told to send sound to a remote server as well
        as continuing to send sound to the local sound hardware?
     2. What programmatic interfaces exist to make the above changes and
        then undo them?

Thanx,
b.