[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio timing out accepting connections

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:31:16 PST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 10.12.08 10:17, Brian J. Murrell (brian at interlinx.bc.ca) wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, it sounds like PA is stuck in a tight loop trying to access
>> > ALSA. I've never encountered this before, and I've used Intrepid a
>> > bit. I'm thinking either you have a custom compiled version of a
>> > library that PA depends on;
>>
>> Nope.  Everything here is stock.
>>
>> > or, you have some strange hardware.
>>
>> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>>  0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [CT4832]
>>                       SBLive! Value [CT4832] (rev.7, serial:0x80271102) at 0x9c00, irq 17
>
> Please note that the SBLive drivers are incomplete and broken timing
> because Creative is very uncooperative. Due to that your results with
> PA on this sound card may vary.
>
> Don't buy Creative. (Why would anyone do that anyway these days?)
>
>> Strangely pulse does not detect the other devices.
>
> This is usually a sign that the drivers used are buggy or are blocked
> by some other process. Run "pulseaudio -vvvv" in a terminal to figure
> out what is going on.

We traced this to the fact that something on his system had installed
a ~/.pulse/default.pa with bogus configuration. He reverted to the
default shipped /etc/pulse/default.pa which, unlike the one in his
home directory, loads module-hal-detect. Now it works.

He's Shred001 in IRC, fwiw. :)

Sean