[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio elusive

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Dec 10 11:21:17 PST 2008

On Sun, 07.12.08 02:01, Jack Tanner (ihok at hotmail.com) wrote:

> Is PA right for me? I use my Fedora 10 box for vlc, mpd, and
> MythTV. PA should play nicely with them under F10, right?
>
> How do I get started? I've two audio cards, the on-board VIA
> (unused) and the add-in Audigy2 (used). I can get
> gnome-sound-properties *but not vlc* to play through Audigy2
> Multichannel Playback (ALSA). paplay makes no noise
> either. pulseaudio is running, and there are no errors in
> /var/log/messages.

The drivers for the newer Creative sound cards (such as your Audigy)
are incomplete. More particularly their timing querying is broken
which might cause drop outs during playback.

Creative is very uncooperative to Linux developers. Don't buy
Creative. If you did than it is your own fault that things don't work
as intended.

Also, why buy a Creative Sound Card anyway? Onboard sound cards are
very capable these days. No need to replace them unless you fancy gold cables.