[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse and multicast

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 13:49:56 PST 2008

On 1/12/08, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 05.01.08 15:56, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > I was just talking to someone who wants to watch live Internet
> > concerts on their PC being broadcast in H.264. They also want to
> > listen to the audio from other networked devices around the house. If
> > you try doing this with multiple streams back to the main server it
> > all gets out of sync.
> >
> > Can Pulse provide a solution? The idea would be to bring in the H.264
> > stream, break off the audio and multicast it on the LAN. But the
> > multicast receivers need some time to process the data. Can I set a
> > configurable delay in the local stream before passing it to the
> > decoder in order to give the remote streams time to do their
> > processing?
>
> PA only deals with uncompressed audio for now.
>
> I think you can do what you want by combining PA with the VideoLAN
> client + server. Stream the H264 via VLC/VLS, and the remaining stuff
> via PA's mcast support.

Routing compressed audio should be planned for in the future.
Blueray/Intel HD audio looks like this:

192,000 samples/sec * 24b * 6 channels = 27.648Mb/sec

Is is hard to send 27Mb audio on a 100Mb LAN and not lose some of it.
A little bit of compression gets this down under 10Mb.
With AAC compression it is under 5Mb.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com