[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse and multicast

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jan 12 15:05:28 PST 2008

On Sat, 12.01.08 16:49, Jon Smirl (jonsmirl at gmail.com) wrote:

> > PA only deals with uncompressed audio for now.
> >
> > I think you can do what you want by combining PA with the VideoLAN
> > client + server. Stream the H264 via VLC/VLS, and the remaining stuff
> > via PA's mcast support.
>
> Routing compressed audio should be planned for in the future.
> Blueray/Intel HD audio looks like this:
>
> 192,000 samples/sec * 24b * 6 channels = 27.648Mb/sec
>
> Is is hard to send 27Mb audio on a 100Mb LAN and not lose some of it.
> A little bit of compression gets this down under 10Mb.
> With AAC compression it is under 5Mb.

Then I guess PA isn't useful for you right now.

YOu have two options now: hack some codec support for PA (which is far
from trivial, because you need to deal with latency estimation and
find some sensible way to deal with "mixing" of compressed streams.

Alternatively, find some other sw. Maybe Flumotion is what you are
looking for?