[pulseaudio-discuss] PA overamplification

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 00:28:18 PST 2008

On 1/13/08, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 07:17:39PM +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> > as I explained in my bug[1] I have problem with PA because of over
> > amplification and I need to put every application stream on 50%.
> Better solution would of course be solving the actual cause
> for this problem. I'd guess the sound card does digital
> amplification. alsamixer shows some amplification value for
> the sliders, I don't know how reliable it is, though. But
> anyway, run "alsamixer -c0" (replace 0 with something else
> if the sound card doesn't have index 0) and if some slider
> shows positive gain, lower it. The gain is shown in the
> "Item:" line in upper left corner.
>
> --
> Tanu Kaskinen

You are right! My PCM has positive gain! Anything over 50% in PCM
channel shows positive gain.

Master channel: 0-100% eaquals -64.50dB to 0dB gain
PCM channel: 0-100% eaquals -30dB to +34.50dB gain

When I lower PCM gain to 47% that eaquals 0dB gain.

Now I can have pulseaudio per application streams go to 100% without distortion!

Thank you, thank you, than you!!!

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/